The City of Waite Park is a thriving, progressive community located in the heart of the St. Cloud, Minnesota region. While the city’s population may be just over 8,000, it serves a daytime population of 30,000. The city is well connected by major highways to St. Cloud and the Minneapolis-St. Paul region. Waite Park is a retail and commercial destination for the region with numerous shopping and dining options. In addition, the city has over 30,000 square feet of convention and hotel space. Waite Park is known for its recreation with numerous parks and trails. Rivers Edge Park, a 42-acre park located along the Sauk River, has hosted several regional, state, and national baseball tournaments, and includes walking trails, pickleball courts, and an outdoor fitness court. The city also boasts a connection to the Lake Wobegon state trail and will be adding a future connection to the Glacial Lake state trail. Quarry Park, a 600-acre county facility that attracts over 150,000 visitors annually is located within Waite Park. The City of Waite Park operates as a statutory plan A city. This is a weak-mayor form of government with five members selected at-large, including the mayor and four council members. Under this form of government, the council appoints a city administrator who oversees the daily operations of the city. Council members are elected to four-year terms and the mayor is elected to a two-year term. The city administrator and department directors are a long tenure and collaborative team. The Police Chief reports to the city administrator. The city has 46 full-time employees with a general fund budget of $9M.
To find out more details about the position expectations, please visit our website for the full recruitment brochure at Current Searches – Mercer Group Associates
The new Police Chief will be a dedicated and ethical team player who can quickly gain the confidence of the community and business owners. The Chief must possess the ability to build community trust through the development of partnerships and use of proven community-oriented policing techniques. As a key member of the City Administrator’s Leadership Team, the ideal candidate will demonstrate the ability to embrace change and help guide the community and the department through challenges and opportunities of a growing community. The successful candidate will be expected to establish a vision of excellence, gain credibility and provide consistency in delivery of police services, promote diversity in the department, and motivate others to provide outstanding services to the community. The department has 22 sworn officers and an administrative team. The Police Chief must possess highly developed communication and listening skills with an ability to perform well under pressure and meet deadlines. The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge and experience in the management of a municipal police department, providing a high level of community engagement and advanced crime prevention and problem-solving practices; and be able to work collaboratively with the other cities in the region. The new Police Chief must be firm, but also compassionate, as well as empathetic when the situation requires it.
- Must possess a Bachelor’s degree with coursework in criminal justice, law enforcement, or related field with certifications and licensure as indicated below, with at least ten (10) years of extensive experience working in law enforcement in a department similar to Waite Park or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience. Master’s degree is preferred.
- Must have at least five (5) years of supervisory experience.
- Must meet and maintain all MN POST Board mandated certifications and medical requirements.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
- Advanced training in Emergency Management preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary for this position will be established commensurate with experience and qualifications of the selected candidate. Starting salary is expected to be in the range of $105,000 to $126,000.
- Comprehensive benefits package including pension, health, dental, vision, and life insurance. The city offers a generous leave program including vacation and sick leave, as well as paid holidays.
- Take home vehicle and cell phone for business use will be provided by the city.
- Negotiable relocation expenses.
How to Apply
Interested applicants must submit by email a cover letter, resume, at least five job-related references (including names, phone number and email address), and salary history no later than close of business on February 23, 2023 to: Lisa Ward, Senior Associate, Mercer Group Associates, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please direct any questions to Lisa Ward at 706-983-9326.